Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Back in the Mountains and it Feels So Good!

We are officially Utahns...the plates on our cars, and the distance to our church house are proof enough.

Thanks to my wonderful parents and a couple great sisters, we moved across the country Grapes of Wrath style. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a picture of the pickup truck loaded. It was stacked high and covered in tarps. What can I say, we are classy movers.

We left our prized possessions in Logan in a storage unit and then the kiddos and I headed out to Nevada (Tanner was in Missouri studying away for his glorious boards.) I got to see my handsome new nephew Tate and I was able to be home for the 4th (maybe 3rd?) annual Fishing Derby. It was great to see so many of my extended family.

My older sister Amanda surprised everyone and came down for the derby from Seattle. I cried. All five of the sisters were together. It was wonderful.

Tanner took his 8 hour long boards on a Monday and then headed out for Nevada on Tuesday. Mariah, Chet and I were so happy to see him. Mariah didn't want to leave his side and Chet kept giving him big, goofy grins. We sure do love that man.

The next day just Tanner and I went on a little overnight trip to Reno. He got us an awesome room in the Peppermill hotel. Huge Jacuzzi tub in your room kind of awesome. We went to the Reno Rodeo for PBR night and Tanner was very surprised to find that he actually enjoyed himself. Bull riding is so much more enjoyable when it is the top bulls and riders in the world doing it. Just saying...

And once again, no pictures. Why would we take pictures without the children? Thats just selfish.

On the way back to my parents, we were able to stop and see some dear friends. That made the trip all the more special. (Thanks Grandma Young and Aunt Mandie for watching the kiddos for us!)

Here's Mariah, not missing mom and dad at all. Elise is fantastic. 
Grandma had a little tea party complete with mini cupcakes, and it looks like Mariah was pretty happy with it. 

The next week my parents and little sister left for girls camp so we had the big ol' house all to ourselves. We went on several little adventures and surprise surprise...I took pictures! I was able to take Mariah on her very first horseback ride and it was pretty special. As we were riding she said, "I a cowgirl!"
She also got a lot of four wheeler rides from mom, dad, aunts, and grandpa. While we were riding Pun'kin Head (not his real name, I just think it fits better than Rusty) I spied a Horny Toad. I had to catch it for Tanner because he had never seen one. I knew his life could never be complete until he held a horny toad so I left Mariah up on the horse like a responsible parent and caught it. I felt like a little kid all over again riding back to Tanner proudly holding my prize.
I'm pretty sure he was more excited than he looks in the above picture...pretty sure. Chet had a great time too during all of this. He napped and then hung out on the lawn with a Kitty and Dutch the cow dog. Pretty sure Dutch just wanted to chew on the cat but he was a good dog and just creepily stared at it the whole time.
We also went into my old stomping grounds, the Austin swimming pool. Not much had changed since my lifeguarding days. Still the size of a motel pool, still only 7 feet deep. Yes I guarded a motel-size pool. It was a challenging job. One thing that had changed was the playground out front. We had some fun and Mariah actually went down a slide! This was big.

And a trip to the park wouldn't be complete without some time in the swings. 
Mariah had a blast at my parents and I think one of her favorite things were the dogs: Bonnie, Clyde and Petunia. She would come into the house smelling of dog every time.
We had so much fun at my "home on the range" and are so grateful for wonderful family that welcome us with open arms!

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious about the horny toad. Mikey would kill me if I left one of our kiddos on a horse. In fact, he doesn't think humans should ever be on horses. His three experiences with them haven't been the best, unfortunately.
    Your babies are adorable, even more so in person. So glad we were able to catch you folks for a quick second.

    ReplyDelete