Sunday, March 1, 2015

A Little Run-In With a Door Knob...

When I was pregnant with Mariah, Tanner was applying to medical schools. While he traveled to the midwest for some interviews I stayed with his brother's family in Arizona. Tanner went and played basketball with a group of medical students in Kirksville and ended up tweaking his back...bad. He told me about it that night and said that it hurt pretty bad. Bright and early the next morning I received a text message from Tanner that said, "I am going to the Emergency Room". That was it.

I frantically tried to call him but he wouldn't answer. I have somewhat of an overreactive imagination (it drives Tanner crazy). By noon I was positive that he was paralyzed from the neck down. I had images of me spoon feeding him the rest of his life but still loving him through it all. Yes I'm crazy. I didn't find out any details until late that afternoon. I bawled most of the day, darn those pregnancy hormones. Once I finally got in contact with him I gave him a long lecture on the etiquette of announcing emergency room visits. I am a Young, so I know that there is such an etiquette (we are a very accident-prone family).

So I can understand that Tanner was trying to do it right this time. I'll let you be the judge of that. Tuesday morning I received this picture as I was feeding the hungry throng (ok, two kids but it feels that way at times).

I gasped so loud even Mariah and Chet got worried. Mariah asked "what is it mom?". Then I saw the other text that said, "I am in the ER I passed out and hit my face on a door...I broke my nose and split my lip...sorry." Let me just take a moment to say that my husband is very selfless. In this moment of trauma he felt the need to apologize...he really is a gem. I immediately tried to call him but got nothing. Tanner was a little distracted sending this picture to some med-school buddies. I'm sure they got a real kick out of it, weirdos. It didn't take as long to get in contact with him this time so I'll give him kudos for that. I drove down to Ogden thinking that I would be the caring wife who rescued my husband. He refused pain medication so he could drive himself home. 

Tanner had surgery on Thursday and everything went smoothly. When we registered for surgery Tanner said to the woman, "I think the reason why I am here is as plain as the nose on my face.". I just love his old man humor. He was joking around with the nurses the whole time before and after the surgery. I was kind of hoping he would wake up from anesthesia a little goofy. He is always in control so it would be nice if for once I wasn't the crazy, emotional one. But sadly he was the picture of sanity when they brought me to him. He took a little longer to answer questions, like 30 second pauses, but thats to be expected I guess. 

 Best lookin' man I've ever seen in a hospital gown!

Not feeling so hot right after surgery. 

But then he turned on a Basketball game and he seemed to perk up pretty quick. 

When we finally left the hospital two of his best friends from college called him. Tanner was cracking jokes left and right and they were giggling like Jr. High girls, the friends, not Tanner. I have never heard that man giggle. Tanner had one joke that went a little like this: "If I believed in reincarnation I think I would want to be a hunting dog or a Bald Eagle because they are protected by the Government (the Bald Eagle, that is)." He is now denying that he said this, but who was coming out of anesthesia? 

After witnessing Tanner's recovery from this ordeal I now regret any time I have thought that he was being a wimp. That man has an incredibly high pain tolerance. The only thing he complained about was that his eyes were bugging him. They were so bloodshot and irritated. He went off his pain medication because it was affecting his concentration and he wanted to get some studying in with his "down" time. 
His eyes look better here than they did initially but they were still pretty red. 

Also I am so grateful for those who are willing to serve in a time of need. I feel uncomfortable asking things of others. I even get stressed out asking a favor of my family. I ended up calling a woman in our new ward and asked if she could watch Mariah and Chet the day Tanner broke his nose. I don't know her very well but I felt completely at peace having her watch my babies. On the drive down to Ogden I broke down in tears thinking of that woman's willingness to drop everything to serve me. When we got home she had made dinner and the kids were so happy. She was with them for over four hours and was so wonderful. 

Both Tanner's mom and mine offered to head out here to help and it took a lot of convincing that is wasn't necessary. Tanner's older brother Ty drove two hours the night before his surgery and gave him a beautiful blessing and then turned around and drove another two hours back home. And Tanner's sister Natalie took a day off of work so she could watch Mariah and Chet while Tanner had his surgery and she stayed the whole weekend and was such a great help.

Another sister in my ward texted me on Sunday asking if I needed help getting my kids to church. And I've received texts asking how we are doing. I think one reason why things like this happen is because it gives others an opportunity to make sacrifices and serve. And it gives those being served an opportunity to humble themselves enough to ask for help. And all of that serving and asking just brings us that much closer to our Savior. My heart is so full of gratitude and with the knowledge that there are so many wonderful people in this world. 

Here is the final product. And I must say I think he looks quite dashing. Yay for modern medicine!

1 comment: