Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Big Girl Undidies

I have had two children in diapers for over 16 months. Not because I enjoy spending exorbitant amounts of money on diapers or wipes or because I love wiping poopy little bottoms. The truth is that I have been dreading potty training. I put it off before leaving Kirksville because I didn't want to take potty breaks every hour on our cross country drive. And then we decided to go to Pittsburgh for an out-rotation so I didn't want the same thing on our next two cross country trips. And then we got to our new house and were off and on sick for a month. Soooo after that unnecessarily long explanation, we are now potty training.

And surprisingly, it isn't going too bad. I have learned that there are some perks to waiting until they are almost three. Mariah was super excited to start wearing "big girl undidies". She even asked Tanner if he were wearing big girl undidies. I think she felt a little sorry for him when he said no. I must admit, I am a little jealous of her polka-dot and heart panties.

I have had my fair share of nasty underwear, but Mariah is a people-pleaser, so I think it bugs her almost as much as it bugs me when she has an accident. One day after her nap I was really excited that her diaper was dry and she said "It's dry like a bone." with the most serious expression on her face. Not sure where she picked up that phrase but it made me laugh really hard. Another time she asked me, "Can you specially put me on the potty so I can go tinkle tinkle?". I guess sometimes I don't make it special enough? When she struggles going she will sometimes say, "think potty, think potty." The nursery at our church has a mini-toilet and sink and when we went in there the first time Mariah was ecstatic. "It's my size! Look! A teeny-tiny toilet! It's just my hype (height)!" Her enthusiasm is the best.

I think Chet has loved potty training most of all. When Mariah goes in the toilet she gets chocolate chips. Now whenever she goes, Chet runs to the pantry saying "Caca! Caca! (chocolate)". I usually reward myself as well.

This photo really doesn't have much to do with the post (besides the fact that she is indeed wearing undidies here) but I just can't get over it. For one thing, Chet is just killing me; how can he be that cute? And Mariah just cracks me up. You can't beat the creativity of a toddler. 

1 comment: