Thursday, March 27, 2014

Keeping Busy

The week before a big test in Medical School can be grueling, for Tanner, me and the babies. I try to find ways to help those weeks go by as fast as they can. So when a group of my friends decided to go to St Louis for a day trip I was more than happy to jump on board.

There were 3 cars, 7 adults (2 of them pregnant, one very pregnant) and 10 children. It was a party. We decided on St Louis because it has an amazing free zoo, and an amazing frozen custard place. Doesn't get much better than that!

The kids did really well on the way there even though Chet had several meltdowns (but I was expecting that and he really doesn't like to disappoint me). We drove around the zoo for what felt like hours looking for a parking space because we wanted this trip to be free free, meaning no paid parking. We found a spot just before I had a complete breakdown and created my own parking spot by slamming into cars...phew.

The weather was amazing. It almost got uncomfortably hot, but I did not complain. It would have been very ungrateful of me after all the complaining I have done about the bitterly freezing cold.

The kiddos, minus 3, looking at the groundhogs 
Eden was so sweet and held Mariah's hand all the way through the butterfly exhibit. 
Showing me the monkeys 
Mariah had so much fun looking at all the different animals. She didn't have one meltdown and fell asleep without a fuss. I got a lot of good looks walking around with her wide-open mouth, snoring state. The girl can sleep hard. 

I don't think Chet had too much fun. Maybe it was because before we even started a bird pooped right on his face, I know that would put me in a bad mood. He had quite a few meltdowns and wanted to be held or nursed most of the time. I nursed him 4 times in a 6 hour period...the boy was thirsty.  

I love how Mariah is holding onto the stroller passed out. Way too much fun for that girl. 
After the zoo we decided the smartest thing to do for dinner would be drive through. Then we stopped real quick at the legendary Ted Drewes frozen custard. Even though Chet screamed the whole time we were there I really enjoyed myself...that tells you how good their frozen custard is.

The drive home was pretty relaxing, mainly because Chet slept the whole way. Even though for about an hour of the trip either Collette or I had to reach back and hold Mariah's hand so she wouldn't cry. It was that or singing songs the whole time and although I'm sure Collette enjoyed my wonderful voice I just didn't have the stamina to sing for the next two hours. So the hand-holding was a better option for me and probably a relief for Collette.

It's amazing how much longer a road trip can take when you have diaper changes, potty breaks, a nursing baby and several breakdowns. But what is also amazing is how two moms can talk away while there is chaos going on in the background (Collette and I are truly gifted).

The next morning we woke up to snow...it almost seemed like the day before that was filled with sunscreen, and sweat was just a dream. Dear, dear Kirksville, how you love to bring us back to reality.

I love the friends I have made here and will remember our crazy, exhausting trips with so much fondness. Yay for Medical School!

1 comment:

  1. Those babies of yours sure do give you a run for your money huh? I'm so glad you are having fun. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete