Monday, April 6, 2020

Celebration Week in Quarantine

We kicked off the Crossley week with April Fool's Day/Our 9th Anniversary. The night before I drew mustaches on the kids and then acted like there wasn't anything on their faces when they woke up. It was pretty entertaining to hear Chet and Austin: "Austin, why do you have a mustache on your face?" "You have a mustache on your face too!" All of this was done in a grumpy, just woke up, manner. Mariah was pretty tickled about it all. And that was the extent of the jokes in our house that day. 


 We were able to get a babysitter to watch the kids so that Tanner and I could run some errands. It's hard to get too romantic during a pandemic but we tried. We initially were going to order sushi to go from a restaurant that appeared open online but wasn't. So we settled for drive through and then did some home project and grocery shopping. But it was still wonderful; thats what staying in the house for weeks will do to ya. Lowered expectations are wonderful.


 I insisted on a blurry family selfie, I knew this was the best we were going to get and I'd be pushing my luck to ask for a do-over. Although we've only been married for 9 years I feel like we have done a lot. Four children, six states, multiple surgeries, medical school, residency...we've done a heap of livin' these last nine years. It hasn't always been peachy but it has been just what we needed. I'm grateful for the growth we have made and that we love each other even more through it all. 

And just for fun, here's a cheesy photo of us from our honeymoon. We are now at the point where we feel old when we see pictures of us as newlyweds. 

The next day was Tanner's birthday. He took the day off because we were supposed to be picking up his parents from the airport, but COVID-19 ruined that plan. So we ordered steak from a local restaurant and enjoyed Tanner's traditional strawberry shortcake. Tanner bought a chainsaw for his birthday because his wife is a horrible gift giver, but the food was good and thats really his love language. 
The oldest three made birthday pictures for Tanner too: 
 I'm not sure what Austin's was...
Chet's said, Dad I love you. You are the best dad. Happy Birthday Dad.


Mariah's trying to be funny, and it's cute. 

 The next day I got a wild hair and decided to paint the kids bathroom. Chet was so excited to remove the wallpaper and was actually a good help. I was able to convince Austin that it would be really fun to pick up the wallpaper fragments and Mariah danced and did lip sync while watching herself in the mirror. So I guess she played her part in entertainment. 
 Eliza wanted to help tape off the bathroom and was very proud of the work she did. 
 After being up way too late decorating and painting the bathroom, Mariah woke us up bright and early for her birthday. She was satisfied with the decorations, phew, and thought her new mirror made her room "look like a castle!". We had Birthday/Conference crepes and thoroughly enjoyed them. Conference was wonderful and the weather was beautiful so we could play outside between sessions. 

Mariah set up a Conference Game for Chet. While using his slingshot his goal was to hit all the good choices. I really enjoyed how glamorous Mariah made me look in the pictures, I often do housework in ball gowns. 








 Mariah said this is what I actually look like...nice

 Mariah got lots of books, some decorations for her room, chokers and a dress from Grandpa and Grandma Young. 
 I decorated the cake with the children around and stayed nice and calm the whole time. I think the spirit of conference helped me. 
 I gave each of them frosting rings just like my mom used to when we were kids. And then I made Tanner document it because if you don't take a picture it never happened. Thats why dad is the "fun one", because mom is behind the camera documenting it all. 

 We had Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner and then ate Mariah's birthday cake. Which according to my children was "beautiful and tasted good, not like Mariah's Unicorn cake which was beautiful but disgusting. Or Austin's Monster cake which was delicious but ugly." They are my food critics. 
 Austin fell asleep within minutes of the evening session of Conference. As President Uchtdorf says, "There's nothing better than a conference nap.". Or something like that. 
When I first put up the pictures of the First Presidency and twelve Apostles, Gus was totally freaked out. He was barking and growling and we got a good laugh out of it. But in all sincerity, I'm so grateful that through the turmoil and trouble of this time that there were millions gathered together in their own homes listening to messages of peace from inspired leaders. If you aren't a member of our faith and are curious about what General Conference is you can find out more at churchofjesuschrist.org

No comments:

Post a Comment