Sunday, December 17, 2017

Playing Catch Up

It's been a while, we're going all the way back to before Halloween. Maybe I'll have Christmas on here by Valentine's Day, but no promises.

Every year Morgantown does an air balloon thing. The kids were super excited to see their buddies there. And they were focussed on those balloons for at least thirty minutes. Which made taking them by myself a whole lot easier. 



I really despise carving pumpkins. Getting the guts out, trying to cut through the slippery gourd while also making sure my children don't cut their fingers off, it's just not my favorite. So I always make sure Tanner is around when we do that activity. This year we got two pumpkins so I felt obligated to help out. The whole time I was working on mine Chet and Mariah kept saying, "Mom, just let dad do it when he is done with his." But I persevered until I broke a knife in the pumpkin, then I graciously let Tanner take over. I think he did a very good job. 





I decided to do homemade costumes this year for Mariah and Austin, and they definitely looked that way, but the kids were happy so we called it a win. 
 Chet was a cowboy, which he is almost every day so I wasn't really surprised when he decided on that. I had to tell him no on bringing his rope to the ward trunk or treat...didn't want any roped children. Mariah was his horse and Austin was his floppy horned steer. 
Don't be intimidated by my crafting ability. 

I took the kids through the neighborhood on Halloween and though it was a little frigid, they had a good time. We walked back home and were on the sidewalk in front of the house when dad got home. Mariah and Chet were so excited to hand out candy at our house. They didn't even mind using their candy from the ward trunk or treat. Every time the doorbell rang they bolted for the door and gave huge handfuls to everyone who came. Austin went a little crazy on the candy that night. I think he had about five things opened and halfway eaten and kept bringing me more to open for him. Needless to say we had a Halloween meltdown before bed. I think it was still worth it though. 

We were planning on going to the Wunderli's house in DC for Thanksgiving but Austin got the stomach bug on Wednesday. We were all bummed about not going to our cousins' house, Mariah cried, but we made the best of it. We had our own little dinner and it was actually really nice. I love being with family but there is something to a nice relaxing dinner followed by everyone sleeping in their own beds. Tanner got to play a few hours of flag football that morning so he was happy too. 
 We even got out our only tablecloth, that is a hand-me-down by the way. We're so fancy.


 The sick boy was feeling better in time for dinner. 
 Mariah took this picture, I think she was excited about the table cloth and wanted to showcase it.
Tanner had taken Friday off so he spent part of the day making gingerbread cookies with the kids. I lounged on the couch and giggled at how much he sounded like I do when I try to bake with our children. It can be stressful. 

The more I do holidays with children the more I realize how easy it is to please them. The littlest things mean so much and can bring so much joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment