Thursday, January 7, 2016

Christmas

Christmas with toddlers is just magical. I tried to make the whole month a time to focus on the birth of the Savior. Each week I checked out Christmas books from the library and we talked about that first Christmas night a lot. Nothing makes you feel better as a parent than knowing that you're children are getting it. One day while playing with their toy Nativity Mariah held the angel up in the air and said, "I bring you good tidings of great joy!" with such enthusiasm. It made me so happy.

Anxiously anticipating the birth of our own baby also helped bring such a sweet spirit to our home.

The library had a little Christmas party where the kids got to do some crafts and meet Santa.
 This is the best photo I could get of Chet showing off his creations.

Mariah was so excited to see Santa. When he came into the room her whole face lit up and she would have ran right to him if there hadn't been so many kids in the room. Chet on the other hand...not buying it. He wouldn't even get close enough for a picture. But he was excited about the coloring book and stickers that they gave him. 

Last year one of the gifts we got from Grandma and Grandpa Crossley was the book The Sparkle Box. Whenever we served someone I wrote it on a piece of paper and put it in the box as a gift to the Savior. It was really neat to see how much Tanner serves others. He really is a gem. 

Tanner did a Pharm elective so that he could be home the weeks before Christmas. I was so thankful for the extra help. We decided our big gifts to the kids would be some DIY projects. We got a desk that Tanner's mom had for her kids and refinished that. And Tanner made a beautiful rocking horse with the help of a friend.

Our ward had a Christmas party as well. Everyone wore their pajamas and we had Breakfast for dinner. Santa and Mrs. Claus came and he was the best Santa I have ever seen. You could just tell he was a good guy so I thought Chet might warm up to him better, or at least Mrs. Claus. Here's a little series of photos that show how it all went down.

 "I'll just take the candy cane and leave thank you."
 "Wait for the picture Chet!"
 Not happy...
"But I'll do a fake smile to pacify you all."

Christmas Eve we had planned to go down to Salt Lake for Shepherds night with Tanner's family but I had contractions off and on so we thought it would be best to stay home. I was really bummed because I love Shepherd's night and wanted Mariah and Chet to get to do that this year.

Christmas morning was wonderful. Mariah and Chet slept in until eight (probably the last time that will happen on Christmas morning). It was fun to see how excited they were to go through their stockings and open their gifts.




By the time we were done opening presents my contractions had stopped. The weather was beautiful so at the last minute we decided to head down to Salt Lake for some family time. I'm so glad we did. It was wonderful being surrounded by family on Christmas day and Mariah and Chet got to have fun with their cousins. Family really is everything.

I am so grateful for the Christmas season and the spirit it brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment