Monday, June 26, 2023

Eliza Ann

 Another year with our Eliza. I'm going to start this post with all the favorite things she has said in the last year...

One day we had Terron in the car with us and he was telling us a story about his dad. I responded with, "Your dad's one cool dude!" To which Eliza promptly scoffed, "He doesn't even wear cool dude clothes!" But Terron was quick to defend his father: "Well he has red pants and a Nike shirt." Which we all know is the epitome of coolness. 

While playing with Austin she said, "He has all the powers under the universe and I have all the powers over the universe." The girl knows how to get ahead...

She is such a great blend of girly and tomboy. 

One day she was feeling angry and kept telling me that she wanted to hit me. But then she went into the other room and said a prayer. She let me know that she felt better after she prayed. 

After taking a nap when she wasn't feeling well: "I wanted to sleep to get the sickness knocked out of me." 

Eliza is fascinated with how different bodies can be. She once told me, "My bum cheeks only have a little bit of chubber but your bum cheeks have a lot of chubber, like a google percent of chubber." Said without a hint of criticism, I might add. 

"I'm hungry too, but I can hold it." 

One day Jack and Eliza were eating lunch when he burst out with, "Natalie's bum can fit on a teaspoon!" (Natalie was a premature baby) Eliza asked incredulously, "Today?!". 

She went through a phase where she would say "I can't imagine" instead of "I can't believe". "I can't imagine that I can do this good of drawings." 

Just one of her works of art

She was so proud of this one that she made a frame for it and it has been above our fireplace for months now. She wanted me to title it, I love the Beautiful Sky. I can't bear to take it down. 

We were going through a phase of Eliza coming into our room throughout the night. After a long conversation about how mom and dad need their sleep we asked her to stay in her bed. She replied with, "I make no promises." 

She likes to call tornadoes "tomatoes" 

Eliza has figured out how to do her own ponytails and buns and doesn't feel like I need to fix her hair anymore. She especially despises curls...not really sure why. 

Jack and Eliza went through a phase where they loved playing "church". They would take turns giving talks and it was so fun to see what they would say in their little sermons. 

One day when they were playing "mom and dad" they were "teaching their children the gospel". When Natalie commented on how that was so great Eliza humbly replied, "We just do our best." 

These two are still the best of friends 

One day we were jamming in the car to Ace of Base (only the highest quality of music in our household) and Eliza said, "All that mom wants is chocolate...and love." She knows me so well. 

I asked the kids one day what their biggest dreams were. Mariah would like to publish a book, Chet would be an NBA player, Austin a scientist, and Eliza wants a dragon. 

When talking to Grandma and Grandpa Crossley on the phone about her dad she said, "he's a doctor, a big burly doctor." 

One day she brought in a dandelion and somewhat dejectedly said, "I'm not going to make a wish because I know it won't come true." After asking her what she would wish for she said, "lots and lots of animals, like dragons and other stuff." 

This spring was such a delight because Eliza was running in almost daily exuberantly telling me what new blossoms had bloomed. It is so wonderful to relive things through the eyes of a child. 

And another time commenting on my body, "Woah mom! Your bum cheeks are so big!" I responded with "They are, maybe one day if you're lucky yours will be this big too." She quickly responded with, "No, mine will be as big as the bathtub." Maybe the body positivity conversations are going a little too far...

Eliza loves to be funny and is thrilled when she is able to make everyone laugh

I have so many pictures of her because she is always requesting a picture to be taken. 

Eliza always had interesting outfits for soccer, here she insisted on wearing jeans...and bringing her coloring kit. 
The snacks were what kept Eliza going to soccer

She has mastered the art of selfies...

And silly faces

Mom: What is your favorite color?
Eliza: white! You already know! (same as last year)

Mom: What is your favorite food?
Eliza: Noodles...same as last year as well. 

Mom: What is your favorite animal?
Eliza: Horses, I really love horses!
She is starting to enjoy Josie more, for the longest time she just talked about how much better Gus was. 
Sean is still a favorite too, as long as he isn't in a feisty mood

Mom: What is your favorite book?
Eliza: Go Dog Go

Mom: What is your favorite movie?
Eliza: Robin Hood (Winnie The Pooh is another favorite of hers)
        
Mom: What is your favorite song?
Eliza: My Own Sacred Grove (she requests that every Sunday on the way to church)

Mom: Who is your scripture hero?
Eliza: Mormon

Mom: What is your favorite dessert?
Eliza: Ice Cream, except mint ice cream 

Mom: What do you like to do for fun? 
Eliza: I like to play with my brothers and sisters and I like to play with Austin

Mom: What is your favorite thing to do with Mom?
Eliza: Read books 
Mom: What is your favorite thing to do with Dad?
Eliza: Same thing! Read books

Mom: What is your favorite thing to do with Mariah? 
Eliza: Play 
Eliza loves when Mariah will paint her nails

Mom: What is your favorite thing to do with Chet?
Eliza: Read books
She always gets excited to go fishing with Chet

Mom: What is your favorite thing to do with Austin?
Eliza: Play stuffies
These two are still hit or miss as far as playing together goes, but Eliza is always thrilled when Austin plays with her. 

Mom: What is your favorite thing to do with Vivi? 
Eliza: Play baby dolls

This picture perfectly captures how clingy she is with Vivi...but it all comes from love. I've never had an older sibling more patient than Eliza is with Vivi. 
She is such an attentive sister and cousin and the toddlers often call to her for help before they ask the adults. 

Mom: Who is your best friend?
Eliza: My Family and one of my best friends is Jesus and Heavenly Father

Mom: What do you want to be when you grow up? 
Eliza: I want to be a trainer that trains all kinds of animals 

Joseph F Smith once said this about Eliza R. Snow (one of our Eliza's namesakes): "She walked not in the borrowed light of others but faced the morning unafraid." And I think that describes our Eliza perfectly. The girl has a confidence that will take her far in life. Tanner and I often repeat to ourselves the mantra, "teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves." especially when it comes to Eliza. She has a forceful will and spirit that cannot, and should not, be tamed. We need strong people in this world who will stand up for others with kindness and Eliza is just the girl to do that. 


We are so grateful for Eliza, her honesty, caring nature and willingness to try. Life just wouldn't be the same without her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment