Friday, September 6, 2019

Residency Graduation

 I remember once being in the testing center at BYU-Idaho and watching Tanner create molecules for an Organic Chemistry test and thinking, "he must be smart". I knew this because I was taking Chem 101 at the time and it was about to kill me. I hadn't even met Tanner at this point but I had already spent a couple years noticing him around campus and being intrigued with the man in camo pants and pink shirt with the kindest smile and a light in his eyes.

Growing up I always thought I would marry a cowboy with rough hands and enough horses to make all my dreams come true. He would also be tall enough for me to wear heels and still look small next to him, have blue eyes, and dark hair. My family thought my standards were too high...doubters. But then I officially met Tanner and decided the cowboy thing wasn't that important. He met the other two requirements so I was willing to compromise. But in all seriousness I loved Tanner and wanted to be with him and help him in pursuing his dreams and I knew he felt the same about me. 

So when we were married we knew this journey would be long and hard. What we didn't know was how wonderful it would be. So much growth has happened in the last seven years for our family. We have met so many amazing people and have gained lifelong friendships all along the way. 

While some were quick to tell us how hard medical school/residency can be on a marriage and family, I would have to disagree. We were apart a lot but it made our time together that much sweeter. We learned to sacrifice and put time in for our marriage and family. There were months where Tanner would only be home for dinner and Sundays. We did months of time apart during audition rotations. I am so grateful we are in such a wonderful time where my children could still see their dad each night and talk to him face to face even when he was on the other side of the country. 

Tanner worked so hard and sacrificed so much for us. I am grateful for him and all that he has done and continues to do. Thank you to all who helped us through this incredible journey, we couldn't have done it without the family, friends and acquaintances who did so much for our family. 

Dr. Duer loved to quiz the residents and if they didn't know a "duh" answer, he would give them a tap on the head with this hammer. He let all the residents give him a little tap. 


I started filming Dr Warren as she began to talk about Tanner, but then I realized she was talking about me. I was given my first ever trophy for being a great mom and wife. Chet was so proud of me and still has my trophy on display. 
Tracy was such a light and help to us. I'm so grateful for all that she did to make residency more doable for our family. 

 For those who are on the medical journey just a little unsolicited advice (it's what I do best): life isn't easy for anyone, whether they are med families or not. Be careful in thinking that no one else has it as hard as you. That type of thinking will only make it harder; I know from experience. Next, find joy in the journey. Beware of the when/then mindset: "When we are done with residency, then it will be so much easier." Every stage is hard, life is hard; you just have to see the good through it all. I believe that mindset is part of the reason why I can look back on this time with such fondness. 

 White coat ceremony
Graduation
We like to have babies at all our big celebrations, it makes things easier that way...
End of Residency

2 comments:

  1. I love your family and especially your husband! I love readying your blog! You have a gift! And a great husband. From a Roomate who knows :) god bless yall! I sent this to my bro in law in residency over in Rhode Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind of you to say that. Sorry but who is this? It just says unknown and I would love for Tanner to know which of his roommates said this.

      Delete