Friday, September 28, 2018

Party for the Birthday Boy


I am not a party planner. So when Chet's birthday was coming up I was really hoping he would want to do a fun thing with Tanner and I like Mariah did. But he told me that he had figured out that if he had a party he would get more presents...I didn't think he would put two and two together like that. So we had a party.

Chet's birthday really snuck up on me. The weekend before we went on our little vacation and my brain is special and can only focus on one big event at a time. So as we were getting ready to leave North Carolina my sister in law said something about Chet turning five soon and I remembered that I hadn't bought anything for him yet...mom of the year over here. I frantically ordered his gifts on Amazon and prayed they would get to our house on his birthday, which was in two days. I know, I really am terrible.

Chet was very specific about how he wanted his birthday to go. Balloons needed to be hung up and he wanted all his toys greeting him on the couch first thing in the morning. Breakfast was to be chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and berries, and he wanted a candle in them. Tanner got done early with didactics so he brought some doughnuts home to round off our healthy breakfast.

 Luckily Grandma Young had given me Chet's present when she came out in June so he had one present to open that morning. He was so excited about his new built with his name on the back. He ran right into his room and changed into his cowboy gear.

A few weeks ago we made little snack bags for people in need at FHE. Chet was so excited to get to help people and prayed every night that we would find someone to give some of the food to. I took the kids to Chick Fil A for lunch and took the long way home. I had forgotten about school starting at the University so what should have taken ten minutes took about an hour. But at a stop light I saw a man with a sign and was able to give him one of our food bags. He was eating some of the food before the light turned green. I told Chet Heavenly Father answered his prayers for his birthday. Chet had the biggest smile on his face. 

When we got home the birthday presents hadn't arrived but we usually don't get the mail until the afternoon. The kids stood watch for a good twenty minutes outside and when I heard the UPS guy pull up I was sweating bullets just hoping he would have Chet's presents. And he did! Another of Chet's prayers answered on his birthday. We got him Legos and a Bow and Arrows and he has played with them all every day. 

He requested homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. I had to go to mutual that night but they got ice cream with dad and played with the birthday toys some more.

We had his birthday on Friday when some of his friends didn't have school. Chet really wanted Chewbacca cupcakes but I really didn't want to spend an hour decorating something that would be destroyed within seconds. I've seen my mom do it too often. So I let the kids make their own Chewbacca cupcakes. Squirt some brown frosting, slap on some candy eyes and call it good. And Chet was so happy!
 Chet created a three-eyed Chewbacca and was quite proud of his handiwork.

Eliza was a little dear and slept through the whole party. 

I'm so grateful for my Chet boy who is so easily pleased. Here's hoping he stays that way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment